Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Saturday, January 5, 2008
(UNDATED) - The winter heating season is underway.
Furnaces are running, and people are using their fireplaces again which means its a good time to be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning known as "the silent killer". Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas that's produced from burning fossil fuels like gas, wood, oil or coal.
John Erickson with the Indiana Department of Homeland Security says the best way to detect a dangerous level of the gas is with a carbon monoxide detector. Install it near the ceiling between where you sleep and the possible source of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide poisoning mimics flu symptoms like headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. If the alarm goes off and you have flu-like symptoms, evacuate immediately and call 911. If you don't have those symptoms when the alarm sounds, air out the room and reset it. Then if it goes off again, evacuate.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page