News Sections
Carbon Monoxide Posioning Possible During Furnace Season
Updated May 5, 2013 12:59 AM | Filed under: Network Indiana
 Print    Archive    RSS

(UNDATED) - The winter heating season is underway.

Furnaces are running, and people are using their fireplaces again which means its a good time to be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning known as "the silent killer". Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas that's produced from burning fossil fuels like gas, wood, oil or coal.

John Erickson with the Indiana Department of Homeland Security says the best way to detect a dangerous level of the gas is with a carbon monoxide detector. Install it near the ceiling between where you sleep and the possible source of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide poisoning mimics flu symptoms like headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. If the alarm goes off and you have flu-like symptoms, evacuate immediately and call 911. If you don't have those symptoms when the alarm sounds, air out the room and reset it. Then if it goes off again, evacuate.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File