WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Church Boiler Passed Inspection Before Explosion

Last updated on Sunday, December 30, 2007

(MARTINSVILLE) - The boiler that exploded at First Church of the Nazarene in Martinsville had passed a state examination in April 2006, its last inspection.

Dan Willis, the director/chief inspector for the Indiana Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Section, said the boiler was considered legally operable and a certificate was ordered for it. Willis said heating boilers are to be inspected once every two years.

The boiler at the church exploded just before noon on December 18th as food baskets for the needy were being prepared.

Willis said preventative maintenance of boilers reduce the possibility of a malfunction, but he says engineering a system invincible to failure would be nearly impossible.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page