News Sections
Church Boiler Passed Inspection Before Explosion
Updated May 5, 2013 12:59 AM | Filed under: Network Indiana
 Print    Archive    RSS

(MARTINSVILLE) - The boiler that exploded at First Church of the Nazarene in Martinsville had passed a state examination in April 2006, its last inspection.

Dan Willis, the director/chief inspector for the Indiana Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Section, said the boiler was considered legally operable and a certificate was ordered for it. Willis said heating boilers are to be inspected once every two years.

The boiler at the church exploded just before noon on December 18th as food baskets for the needy were being prepared.

Willis said preventative maintenance of boilers reduce the possibility of a malfunction, but he says engineering a system invincible to failure would be nearly impossible.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File