WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Mitchell Legion Building Destroyed By Fire

Last updated on Monday, November 5, 2007

(MITCHELL) - The Mitchell American Legion burnt to the ground Saturday morning, reportedly as a result of a fire originating with a couple propane tanks.

Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department Chief Tyler Duncan says the limestone faced building was fully engulfed when they arrived, and the multiple roofs on top acted like a tunnel, allowing the fire to spread rapidly.

The Post Commander, Harold Robbins, says the Legion's board of directors will have a meeting today in order to discuss where to go from here.

Officials from the fire department and American Legion say several things were saved from the blaze, including a safe, cash box, honor guard rifles and neighboring houses.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page