(MITCHELL) - The Mitchell American Legion burnt to the ground Saturday morning, reportedly as a result of a fire originating with a couple propane tanks.
Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department Chief Tyler Duncan says the limestone faced building was fully engulfed when they arrived, and the multiple roofs on top acted like a tunnel, allowing the fire to spread rapidly.
The Post Commander, Harold Robbins, says the Legion's board of directors will have a meeting today in order to discuss where to go from here.
Officials from the fire department and American Legion say several things were saved from the blaze, including a safe, cash box, honor guard rifles and neighboring houses.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org