Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Thursday, October 25, 2007
(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Community Schools has reported several possible cases of the hyperactive strain of staph called “MRSA.”
Yesterday, Mitchell Community Schools superintendent John Landis sent a letter to parents saying at least 1 case has been confirmed, and a second case is awaiting results.
As a result, Mitchell Community Schools has purchased special cleaners to deep clean the common areas of the schools, to rid the facilities of this potentially deadly bacteria.
MRSA, known more properly as Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, is, as it's name suggests, resistant to the common antibiotics used to treat more traditional staph infections. Health officials report this strain of staph is most commonly found in hospitals and other relatively sterile medical facilities, and is thought to result from improper use of antibiotics in staph patients.
Most of the time, MRSA will only infect the skin causing what looks like boils, but can cause bigger problems if it gets into the lungs.
MRSA is the same bacteria that caused school cancellations around New Albany, Indiana for clean-up, and is blamed for the death of one teenager in Bedford County, Virginia.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page