(BLOOMINGTON) - IU Student Legal Services is urging all apartment renters to know their rights when it comes to renting.
According to the Indiana Daily Student, a large number of tenants, especially international students, moved into apartments that, apparently, weren't even really moved out of.
One example is IU senior Brad Yuska. When he first opened the door to his new apartment, it was practically blocked by broken furniture. When he made it inside, he was greeted by garbage on the floor, rotting food in the fridge, and exposed wires jutting out of the walls. One thing Yuska and his fiancé could not find, however, was management.
Though that problem was not life threatening, Lindsey Stafford's apartment problem was. She had a major carbon monoxide leak from her water heater that, had not been fortunate enough to have been woken by a phone call, could have killed her.
The important thing to know in all of these cases, according IU Student Legal Services, is to deal with all problems promptly and professionally.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org