Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, September 5, 2007
(BEDFORD) - Lawrence County commissioners took up a request by the County Firefighters Association to institute a burn ban until further notice.
Valerie Luchauer at the Lawrence County Office of Emergency Management told WBIW news the conditions are so dry, people should even take caution when tossing a lit cigarette butt out the window along the road.
The office said one fire this past weekend, out of the 4 or 5 field fires that occurred was reported to have been started by a lit cigarette butt landing in dry brush.
According to Luchauer, all ground level fires are banned including garden burn-offs, trash fires, bonfires and roasts. For the time being, above-ground fires are still okay including backyard grills; however, common sense is still urged including maintaining distance from any dry vegetation.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page