(BEDFORD) - Lawrence County commissioners took up a request by the County Firefighters Association to institute a burn ban until further notice.
Valerie Luchauer at the Lawrence County Office of Emergency Management told WBIW news the conditions are so dry, people should even take caution when tossing a lit cigarette butt out the window along the road.
The office said one fire this past weekend, out of the 4 or 5 field fires that occurred was reported to have been started by a lit cigarette butt landing in dry brush.
According to Luchauer, all ground level fires are banned including garden burn-offs, trash fires, bonfires and roasts. For the time being, above-ground fires are still okay including backyard grills; however, common sense is still urged including maintaining distance from any dry vegetation.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org