WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Area Resident Loses House To Fire

Last updated on Tuesday, February 20, 2007

(BEDFORD) - Firefighters from the Indian Creek and Oolitic Volunteer Fire Departments were called to a house fire Monday on Purdue Farm Road near Fayetteville.

They were called to the Judy Bell residence just after 8:00AM. Karen Morgan, a next door neighbor of Bell's, said her husband spotted the smoke coming from the home. They immediately called the Lawrence County Sheriff's Department for assistance.

Initial reports say the flue caught on fire causing the blaze. Bell was heading for work to the Oolitic Schools when the fire broke out. She said she had checked the fireplace before leaving the house. Before the fire was completely put out, firefighters bought out about a dozen pictures and mementos in a Longaberger basket and presented them to Mrs. Bell.

Along with the firefighters, the Tabernacle of Praise Emergency Service helped with comforting Bell and her daughter who watched as her childhood home went up in smoke. Bell says she will stay with family members as she rebuilds.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page