News Sections
Area Resident Loses House To Fire
Updated May 5, 2013 12:58 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Firefighters from the Indian Creek and Oolitic Volunteer Fire Departments were called to a house fire Monday on Purdue Farm Road near Fayetteville.

They were called to the Judy Bell residence just after 8:00AM. Karen Morgan, a next door neighbor of Bell's, said her husband spotted the smoke coming from the home. They immediately called the Lawrence County Sheriff's Department for assistance.

Initial reports say the flue caught on fire causing the blaze. Bell was heading for work to the Oolitic Schools when the fire broke out. She said she had checked the fireplace before leaving the house. Before the fire was completely put out, firefighters bought out about a dozen pictures and mementos in a Longaberger basket and presented them to Mrs. Bell.

Along with the firefighters, the Tabernacle of Praise Emergency Service helped with comforting Bell and her daughter who watched as her childhood home went up in smoke. Bell says she will stay with family members as she rebuilds.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File