WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Destroys Family Home

Last updated on Tuesday, January 30, 2007

(HURON) - A family of five was forced out of their home Monday morning after a fire gutted the structure.

The Huron, Marion, and Shawswick Volunteer Fire Departments were called to the Shon and Kim Belcher residence on Hwy. 50 just east of Huron.

The 6-month-old family dog is credited with waking the couple's son who was at home in bed trying to recover from sickness.

Officials say a borrowed ceramic heater caught on fire. Both Shon and Kim were at work when the call came in. Their other two children were at school at the time of the blaze.

The local Red Cross and Salvation Army showed up to help the family cope with the loss.

The family says they will be staying with other family members and friends as they plan to rebuild in the same location.

Shon says he was overwhelmed with the outpouring of help from the neighbors and friends.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page