Two arrested after police find pills and mushrooms in vehicle

BEDFORD – A Bedford man and woman were arrested on Friday, June 17th after Bedford Police officers were summoned to New Storage LLC on R Street after a report of a physical dispute between the two. 

When the first officer arrived at 6:06 p.m. he located a silver Pontiac Grand Am parked on the north side of the storage units facing Mitchell Road. 

Jessica Douglas

A second officer saw 39-year-old Jessica Douglas, exit the vehicle from the driver’s side and 23-year-old Takoda Pemberton, exit the vehicle on the passenger side. 

Takoda Pemberton

Police separated the two individuals due to the nature of the call. 

Douglas told police there was no altercation but she fell and hit her head on a metal bar. She stated Pemberton was helping her move items from the storage unit to her vehicle. She denied Pemberton ever striking her. 

When asked if Pemberton had anything illegal in his possession he replied he did and handed the officer a clear plastic container filled with marijuana.

Pemberton also denied any altercation. 

During a probable cause search of the vehicle, officers found a red carrying case on the floorboard which held a glasses case that contained numerous black plastic bags wrapped around a napkin. Inside the napkin were 12 mushrooms for recreational use. Also in the red carrying bag was a prescription for Fluticasone Propionate made out to Jessica Douglas. In the rear seat of the vehicle, officers located numerous prescriptions for Douglas and a vaping THC cartridge. 

Both Pemberton and Douglas were arrested on charges of possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana. 

Douglas required force to place her hand against her body to avoid being handcuffed. She was then put in the patrol car and managed to slide her handcuffs under her legs so they were now in front of her person. 

She was removed from the vehicle and the officers attempted to remove the handcuffs and she immediately placed them under her shirt. She then began to resist more and had to be carried back to the police vehicle and transported to jail on a new charge of resisting arrest.