BLOOMINGTON – April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), and Middle Way House would like for you to join them in using your voice to prevent sexual assault and support survivors of sexual assault. Did you know…
- One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives.
- 4% lesbians, 74.9 bisexual women and 43.3% heterosexual women reported sexual violence other than rape during their lifetimes, while 40.2% gay men, 47.4% bisexual men and 20.8% heterosexual men reported sexual violence other than rape during their lifetimes.
- 8% of rapes occur while the victim is at work.
- In eight out of 10 cases of rape, the victim knew the person who sexually assaulted them.
- Nearly one in 10 women has been raped by an intimate partner in her lifetime. Approximately one in 45 men has been made to penetrate an intimate partner during his lifetime.
- People with disabilities are sexually assaulted at nearly three times the rate of people without disabilities.
- 50% of transgender people have experienced sexual violence.
Reference: Statistics. (2021). Indiana Coalition to End Sexual Assault & Human Trafficking (iCESAHT). Retrieved March 17, 2022, from https://icesaht.org/the-issue/statistics/.
Sexual violence affects individuals of all genders, orientations, ages, races, ethnicities, cultures, classes, faiths, and abilities. Pledge to help prevent and end sexual violence and text DENIM to 44-321 or visit https://secure.givelively.org/donate/middle-way-house-inc/denim-day to donate today!
If you or someone you know is experiencing violence, Middle Way House is here for you on their confidential 24/7 help & crisis line, (812) 336-0846, and confidential help & crisis live chat, https://www.resourceconnect.com/mwh/chat. You are not alone, and you deserve to live a life free of violence.
Be sure to join this community training:
Thursday, April 21st from 6-7pm – The Power of Reclamation
Register for one or all three trainings by clicking here.
Denim Day, Wednesday, April 27th:
Wear jeans with a purpose, support survivors, and educate yourself and others about all forms of sexual violence! Be sure to post a selfie with you, your friends, and/or co-workers on social media wearing denim and use the hashtag #DenimDay and tag Middle Way House, @MiddleWayHouse, on Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter!
2nd Annual Sexual Assault Awareness Walk – I Am Mine., Saturday April 30th:
Join Middle Way House for their 2nd Annual Sexual Assault Awareness Walk, I Am Mine, and show your support for sexual assault survivors! To register for this event and/or to become a sponsor, click here.
About Middle Way House
Since 1971, Middle Way House has been providing services to people in crisis. Today, Middle Way House provides emergency shelter, a 24/7 help & crisis line, on-scene advocacy, support services for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and human trafficking, transitional and permanent housing solutions for survivors and their families, legal advocacy, and education and prevention programs. Middle Way House serves six counties in southern Indiana (Monroe, Greene, Lawrence, Owen, Morgan, and Martin) and relies on a staff of 70 and a committed volunteer force to provide around-the-clock response and services to those experiencing abuse and assault. It is not necessary that an individual reside in our emergency shelter or transitional housing program to access most of our services. We believe, support, and affirm the identities of ALL survivors. For more information, please visit www.MiddleWayHouse.org.