BEDFORD – During the Bedford Board of Works and Safety meeting Monday afternoon, the board approved requests, street closures, staffing changes, and the hiring of a new firefighter.
The board addressed old business with the approval of the purchase of a grapple truck from Central Indiana Truck Equipment for $198,170.
The board then moved on to the hiring and swearing-in of Clayton A. Lumpe as the city’s newest firefighter with his family and Chief Hughes in attendance.
Chief Hughes would later address the board about staffing changes, following the retirement of Lieutenant Jeffrey S. Key. In response to the retirement, adjustments were made to accommodate the needs of the department with the following changes:
• Senior Firefighter Justin Spires To Lieutenant
• Firefighter First Class Brady Rhoda To Senior Firefighter
Permanency And Promotion
• Firefighter 3rd Class Joshua Morron To Firefighter 2nd Class – Permanent
• Firefighter 3rd Class Seth Thomas To Firefighter 2nd Class – Permanent
• Firefighter 3rd Class Ethan Bohnenkamp To Firefighter 2nd Class – Permanent
Misty Adams then addressed the board with quotes and agreements for contracts for the needs of the city within engineering maps and master plans.
Cummins Generator will provide coverage of the eight generators used throughout the city on a five-year contract that can auto-renew once the contract is completed. The city also needs to update the master plan for the sanitary sewer with Lochmueller Group, which hasn’t been updated since 2014 with IDEM. Additional sewer updates and overflow projects are also in the works.
Lastly, the approval to close J Street between 15th and 16th streets was accepted for the following dates:
Request Approval Of J Street Closures Between 15th Street and 16th Street – Mayor Sam Craig
- May 13th and 14th – Crawfish Festival – Requested By Aaron Wentz – CourtRoom
- May 27th And 28th – Music Fest – DaCars Bar
- June 17th And 18th – Charity For Autism Awareness –DaCars Bar
- June 24th And 25th – Limestone Heritage Festival – Requested By Bedford Revitalization Inc.
- July 3rd – Requested By First Baptist Church – Sunday Only