INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Department of Transportation is scheduled to close a portion of Central Avenue under I-65 in downtown Indianapolis.
Central Avenue is scheduled to close between 11th and 12th streets Monday morning, March 21. This closure will immediately follow the reopening of Alabama Street over the weekend and is expected to continue through mid-April.
As crews work to demolish overhead structures, northbound traffic will be detoured east on 10th Street then onto College Avenue. Southbound traffic will be rerouted west onto 16th Street then onto Alabama Street. Pedestrian traffic will be redirected to Alabama Street between 10th and 13th streets.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from Michigan Street and New York Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, visit northsplit.com or text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm.
For details on the lane restrictions and closures associated with the current work, please visit 511 Cars for more information.