MITCHELL – During the Special Board meeting for Mitchell Community Schools Tuesday evening, the estimated $5.1 Million turf project has been awarded to Ferdinand, Indiana company Suefert Construction.
There was raised concern during the meeting, as the cost for the project has come in nearly $1.5 Million over the original projected cost.
During the discussion with Mitchell Community Schools Superintendent Dr. Brent Comer and the Board, it has been determined that with the future sale of the Huron property, which has a minimum bid of $300,000, and the $4.9 Million in the corporation rainy day fund, there will be enough funds to proceed with the project.
This turf project is in part with the proposed $16.8 Million improvement project which will also include:
High and Middle School
- Auxiliary Gym/ Concessions – $5,000,000
- Contingency – $250,000
- A/E Fees – $320,000
- Traffic Improvements $1,100,000
- Roofing – $1,022,000
- Contingency – $200,000
- A/E Fees – $145,000
- Practice Facility – $1,100,000
- Turf football field – $850,000
- Infield Turf – Baseball/Softball (including drainage and irrigation) – $1,500,000)
- Maintenance building – $1,000,000
- Demolition – $95,000
- A/E Fees – $69,000
Junior/Senior High Roofing
- Roofing – $765,000
- Contingency – $70,000
- A/E Fees – $52,000
HVAC/Chiller Replacement / Energy Upgrades
- HVAC/ Chiller Replacement/ Energy upgrades – $100,000
- Contingency – $100,000
- A/E Fees – $68,000
STEAM / STEM Lab Renovations
- STEAM/STEM Lab Renovations – $584,000
- Contingency – $50,000
- A/E fees – $47,000
Superintendent Comer, along with the Mitchell School Board members wants to remind Mitchell residents that there will be no tax increases to them with the execution of these projects.