MITCHELL – The Mitchell Community School board announced the update to the school calendar for the 2022-2023 school year as well as the hiring of faculty during their meeting Monday night.
The calendar will remain mostly the same from the 2021-2022 school year with the addition of four specified eLearning and professional development days for the students, with two days being set apart for each semester.
There will be eLearning and professional development classes during the fall semester set for September 1, 2022, and September 2, 2022, and February 16, 2023, and February 17, 2023, for the spring semester. The board approved the updates to the calendar for the upcoming school year.
The school board also shared the hiring of new positions within Mitchell Community Schools. The first position was for Burris Elementary School in hiring Rachel Fields as a new 5th-grade teacher for the school, pending her release from North Lawrence Community Schools.
Sydney Likens was also hired as the 1-1 Special Education Aide for Hatfield Elementary School which took full effect on December 6th, 2021.
In the course of extra-curricular employment opportunities the hiring of Stevie Canada as the varsity softball coach with Brian McIntosh serving as the assistant softball coach.
Levi Lotz was also hired as the e-coach for the schools’ e-sports team, as well as Isaac Brown as the assistant e-coach.
The final position that was discussed was the hiring of a new athletic trainer for the High School. Athletic Director, Amos Wegner, has completed interviewing candidates for the position. An offer has been extended to an individual, and the hiring is pending the acceptance of payment for the role.
Resignations and retirements included the following:
- Jamie Wilson, Mitchell Junior High School Special Education Aide – effective November 10, 2021
- Kathy Aldridge, Burris Elementary Grade 5 Teacher – effective November 19, 2021
- Marian Cash, Mitchell High School 1-1 Special Education Aide – effective December 6, 2021
- Elizabeth Root, Mitchell High School Class “C” Night Shift Custodian – effective December 21, 2021
- Danny Pridemore, Burris Elementary Class “B” Night Shift Maintenance – effective January 31, 2022
- Darrin Chastain, Mitchell High School Counselor – effective May 23, 2022
- Troy Prichett, Varsity Football Coach – effective at the end of the 2021-2022 school year