Family escapes early morning fire

HURON – A woman and her children were able to escape an early morning fire in Huron this morning unharmed.

The fire was reported just before 8 a.m. in the 700 block of Grandview Road at the home of Christopher Johnson. Huron and Indiana Creek Volunteer Fire Departments rushed to the scene.

A woman and her two young children were able to escape the mobile home, sadly the family’s dog perished. The residents were checked and treated for minor smoke inhalation at the scene by a Seals ambulance crew. Johnson was at work when the fire was reported.

The family who was renting the mobile home did not have rental insurance and the mobile home was destroyed in the blaze.

Firefighters believe a space heater ignited the blaze.

When the weather turns cold, it can bring a chill into our homes. Portable space heaters have become a popular way to supplement central heating or heat one room. If you plan to use portable electric space heaters, make sure to follow these tips and recommendations from the National Fire Protection Association:

• Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
• Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people.
• Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
• Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
• Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
• Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
• Keep children away from the space heater.
• Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
• Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.