Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department firefighters battle house fire

MITCHELL – Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department firefighters were called to a house fire early Sunday morning in the 300 block of West Main Street.

Firefighters arrived at 5:12 a.m. to find flames and heavy smoking coming from the home.

“Mitchell firefighters started a defensive fire attack on the home,” said Assistant Chief Wayne Coble. “The American Red Cross was called to assist the family.”

Firefighters were on the scene for four hours.

Assistant Chief Coble stressed the importance of smoke alarms.

“Please be sure smoke alarms are in good working order and the batteries are changed every 6 months,” he added. “It could save your life.”