INDIANA – As cold weather approaches, Hoosiers are asked to consider donating needed clothing and infant supplies to help Afghan evacuees temporarily housed at Camp Atterbury in Johnson County.
Donation sites have been established across the state, but Hoosiers are encouraged to consider coordinating their own collection effort at their place of business, school, or social service organization.
Thousands of evacuees remain housed at Camp Atterbury, including many families who escaped Afghanistan with nothing but the clothes on their backs. With cold weather approaching in Indiana, new coats and warm clothes, along with baby and hygiene items, are in critical need. More than 40 percent of the population at Camp Atterbury is under the age of 14.
Indiana has a strong social-service presence with a long history of stepping up and supporting causes when needed the most. If you belong to or participate in such an organization, you are encouraged to help support Operation Allies Welcome by collecting items to help the cause.
Any organization or business seeking to make a large donation and cannot deliver to a designated site should contact the Indiana Department of Homeland Security at email@example.com.
New items are accepted from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the following Indiana National Guard armories:
- Evansville: 3300 E. Division St.
- Greenfield: 410 Apple St.
- Terre Haute, 3614 Maple Ave.
- Danville: 1245 E. Main St.
- Muncie: 401 N. Country Club Road
- Indianapolis: Kessler-Moore Readiness Center, 2625 W. Kessler Blvd. North Drive
- Fort Wayne: 130 W. Cook Road
- South Bend: 1901 Kemble Ave.
- New Albany: 2909 Grant Line Road
In addition to cold-weather clothing of all sizes, the following items are being accepted at the armories because they have been identified as needed the most. The items should be in their original packaging:
- Men’s and women’s unbranded, modest clothes such as long sleeve t-shirts, underwear, pants and jackets in sizes small to large. No shorts or tank tops.
- Children’s clothing, including baby and newborn clothes, hats and socks
- Powdered baby formula
- Socks, hats, shoes and slide-on sandals (no flip flops) for evacuees of all ages
Anyone wishing to donate additional items through Team Rubicon can find more information here.
Monetary donations are being accepted by Team Rubicon and the American Red Cross: