MARION COUNTY– The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) has implemented a weight restriction on the I-65/I-70 exit ramps in downtown Indianapolis as part of the North Split reconstruction. The restriction began Sunday, October 10, 2021 and will be in place through November of 2022. This restriction is being implemented to reduce traffic congestion, prevent infrastructure damage and improve safety for downtown commuters and pedestrians.
Vehicles exceeding 13 tons gross vehicle weight (GVW) will be restricted from using the I-65/I-70 collector-distributor exit ramp for Michigan and Ohio streets (Exit 83A), and the Washington Street exit ramp from I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound (Exit 111). Vehicles exceeding the weight limit that have been using these exits should use the official North Split detours on I-465 to avoid the downtown construction (see map below).
Signage indicating the weight restrictions have been placed on I-70 westbound prior to the collector-distributor ramp at Exit 83A. Similar signage will be placed within the next few weeks on I-65 northbound and I-70 eastbound prior to the entrance of the South Split. When signage is in place, the restrictions officially begin.
Indiana State Police troopers will be stationed near the appropriate exit ramps to enforce the restrictions and redirect overweight vehicles to the proper detour.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound exit ramp to Michigan Street or Ohio Street (13-ton GVW restriction in place)
- Pine St. entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from New York Street and Michigan Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton GVW restriction will be in place when signage is installed)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
Detailed maps with construction-related closure and access information can be found on the North Split website: https://northsplit.com/maps/.
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.