MITCHELL – At the start of the Mitchell Community School board meeting a moment of silence was held due to the passing of Mitchell Community Schools transportation director William (Bill) Luttrell.
Luttrell served in the Mitchell Community Schools for over 51 years as a bus driver and eventually worked his way to serve as the Transportation Director.
“The Mitchell Community has lost a real dear friend this week. Bill was in his 51st year this year. He was always there for a joke but kind words. He is missed and will be missed for a very long time. He was a great guy in this community. Bill Luttrell could rock a blue and gold sweatshirt like there was nobody business up in the stands,” said Mitchell Community Schools Superintendent Brent Comer following the moment of silence and reflecting on Bill’s career with Mitchell Community Schools.
In other business:
- Approved a resolution to authorize the disposal of obsolete and damaged school surplus property
- Approved the recommendation to approve Mitchell Junior High baseball and softball to the Mitchell Community Schools Athletic Association
- Approved the Mitchell Junior High School Dance Team Competition Schedule for the 2021-2022 school year
- Approved the recommendation to partner with the Lawrence County Economic Growth Council and Lawrence County Workforce Coalition to pursue IU Health Community Impact Investment Grant for a contribution of $15,000 over a three year period. A total of $5,000 a year will be contributed to this grant.
- The school board will be attending the ISBA/APSS Fall Conference 2021 October 11 and 12 in Indianapolis, IN
- The bids will be let on October 18 for the fieldhouse and maintenance with the approval to be held on Novemeber 16, 2021.
- The school is holding its own in regards to COVID with numbers holding steady but no decrease in cases reported at this time.
Personnel changes approved:
- Anothony Roberts – Mitchell High School night shift class “C” custodian effective September 14, 2021
- Tomica Emberton – Bus # 36 monitor effective September 23, 2021
- Kelly Hall – Mitchell High School Class “C” night shift custoidan effective September 22, 2021
- Katherine Key – KG -5 High Ability coordinator approximately October 18, 2021 – January 17, 2022
- Alex Speer – Assistant Varsity Basketball – Boys 2021-2022 school year
- Kyle Blackwell – Freshman Basketball – Boys 2021-2022 school year
- Mike Hooper – 8th Grade Basketball – Boys 2021-2022 school year
- Tony Sanders – 7th Grade Basketball – Boys 2021-2022 school year
- Peyton Storms – 5/6th Grade Basketball – Boys 2021-2022 school year
- Mark Ryan, Derek George, Josh Haltom – Boys Basketball Volunteers 2021-2022 school year
- Zach Kern – 8th Grade Basketball – Girls 2021-2022 school year
- Allison Kern – 7th Grade Basketball – Girls 2021-2022 school year
- Ethan Bohnenkamp – Varsity Wrestling – 2021-2022 school year
- Emily Drake – Assistant Wrestling – 2021-2022 school year
- Fred Cassidy – Junior High Wrestling – 2021-2022 school year