MITCHELL – The 2021 “Dancing With the Stingerz ” raised needed funds for the Mitchell Dance team to compete in the Nationals in Orlando, Florida.
The final total raised from this year’s event has not been finalized at this time.
On Friday night there were all kinds of twists and turns, laughs, and fun for both the professional dancers and amateurs.
This year, there were 21 performances that hit the dance floor grooving to the music of yesteryear and the present.
“All the funds are used to pay for our Nationals trip to Orlando Florida, which the group will attend in March if the event is not canceled over health orders. Hometown celebrities danced with the girls. The teams picked their own music and costumes,” said Michelle Zehr, Dance Sponsor of the Mitchell High School Dance Team.
The gym was filled with several supporters who were impressed with the talented group of performers, some performing for the very first time.
“This is a real fun night, they do their best, some are funny and then some are just amazing performers. We want to thank the community for supporting us,” said Zehr.
Prior to the performance Chick-fil-A served food and drinks and donations were accepted for the group.
- Lori Taylor and Lily Russell – Special Education IA at Hatfield
- Kerri Wilder with Andrea Williams – Pre-School Teacher at Tiny Persimmon Park
- Jason Bowden with Paige Miller – Regional Director at Northeast US Co-Owner of Big Silver Coins and Collectibles Mitchell Junior High School Track Coach
- Herb Asbury with Angeleigh Asbury – Owner Rasbury’s and Asbury’s Trucking
- Mellissa Gilbert with Paige Martin – Principal Burris Elementary School
- Darcy Hobson with Jacelyn Drake – Youth Minister of Hillcrest Christian Church
- Rickie Mason with Cheyenne Pemberton – Mitchell Junior High School Dean of Students
- Steve Warren with Cadie Haley – Retired from Bedford Ford
- Erica Slaughter with Bella Morrow – Owner of TODC, Mitchell Junior High Dril Team Coach
- Sydney Harris with Briley Waldblesser – Speech Pathologist at Hatfield Elementary
- Brady Short with Madison Smith – Sprint Car Driver
- Leland Ames with Jorja Lamm – 6th grade Language Arts, Math and Special Education teacher Mitchell Junior High School
- Tatelyn Cline with Janeva Gill and Abbie Briscoe – Mitchell Junior High School Dance parent , Virtual assistant
- Jennifer Allen with Madison Gerkin – Mitchell High School Spanish Teacher
- Steve Bodkins with Lila Bodkins – Mitchell Fire Department
- Sonja Chaney with Alex Shepherd – Mitchell High School Treasurer
- Jerry Chaney with Maggie Hudson – Mitchell High School Personal Finance Teacher Mitchell High School Coach
- Joanne Symcox with Megan Bugh – LCIS Principal
- Jackson Ryan with Rylan Simpson – Mitchell High School and Strength Teacher, Mitchell High School Basketball Coach
- Robyn Parish with Hannah Clark – Dental Hygientist Bedford Dental Care Mitchell Cheer Coach
- Emily Austin with the Mitchell High School Mascot
The coaches for the Mitchell High School Dance team are Michelle Zehr, Abijeil Briscoe, Brittany Crosby, and Chey Ann Haubstreit.
There were also performances by Mitchell Junior High Dance Team large ensemble, Mitchell Junior High small ensemble, Mitchell Junior High School Dance Team, and JC Isom performed on his acoustic guitar while the votes were being counted. Vicky Schlegel served as emcee through the evening.
“I was impressed with the performance, it was fun to watch with a lot of creativity,” said Sandra Wheatley one of the three judges of the performances Friday night. The other two judges included Bryan Fountain and Krystal Shelter who had the difficult task of choosing the winners.
“This was just awesome to watch, my daughter’s first year of performing and all these girls are just so talented,” said Nathan Shepphard. “I just really enjoyed this evening, I try to attend all the events here at Mitchell,” said Dorothy Shepphard who watched her granddaughter perform.
Steve and Lila Bodkins’s routine performed a 50’s swing to the “Jailhouse Rock”. ” There will be a few cool tricks that hopefully, I will not mess up, that she will be able to pull off with ease,” said Steve Bodkins prior to the performance.
“This is going to be a surprise for everyone,” said Lila Bodkins.
“This is pretty amazing, this is something I have been wanting to do for a very long time,” said Jason Bowden who performed with his niece Paige Miller. The two performed with a Micheal Jackson Classic. ” I know we are going to kill it this evening,” said Paige Miller.
The winner of this years competition was Rickie Mason, Mitchell Junior High School Dean of Students, and Cheyenne Pemberton.