INDIANA – A reminder to motorists in southern Marion County: the South Keystone Avenue bridge over I-465 is now closed to traffic.
It’s expected to be closed about four months for replacement, with the detour following Hanna Avenue, Shelby Street, Madison Avenue, and Thompson Road.
Crews will remove the existing bridge and rebuild it during the closure. No demolition work will happen over live traffic, and I-465 lane closures will occur at night to minimize traffic impacts. Removal is scheduled to begin tonight where the bridge crosses over I-465 westbound before progressing over I-465 eastbound.
One lane of I-465 may be closed starting at 9 p.m. each night as weather permits, and the middle lane may be closed starting at 11 p.m. One lane of I-465 will remain open with 20-minute closures, and traffic backups will be given time to clear between stoppages. All lanes are expected to reopen each morning by 5 a.m.
There’s another big traffic item to spotlight this week for Marion County. State Road 37 southbound is expected to shift across the center median Thursday night between Belmont Avenue and Fairview Road. Both directions of S.R. 37 traffic will be separated by temporary concrete barriers.
The traffic shift will allow work to advance on the new southbound I-69 lanes and bridges through this area.
S.R. 37 lane closures and short traffic stoppages will occur between 6 p.m. Thursday and 5 a.m. Friday. This will allow crews to safely adjust traffic signals, striping, and railings for the lane shift. You can also expect an increase in daytime flagging on Wicker Road, County Line Road, and Fairview Road.
Drivers should reduce their speed and stay alert as traffic adjusts to the new pattern. The work zone speed limit is 45 mph.
A lot of progress has been made in Martinsville and construction is underway along the entire corridor.
Watch for 20-minute closures of Ohio Street at S.R. 37 today and Tuesday between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. as new bridge beams are scheduled for delivery and installation.
Bridge beam installation over S.R. 252 is expected after Labor Day.Twin Branch Road access to S.R. 37 is expected to reopen in the next week or so. At that time, Teeters Road access to S.R. 37 will close permanently for overpass construction.
Burton Lane was closed permanently at S.R. 37 last week to complete the new I-69 lanes between Indian Creek and Mahalasville Road/Ohio Street. The detour for local traffic follows Southview Drive and Ohio Street. Road crews are moving to the north end of S.R. 37 closure and accessing the work zone from Hospital Drive and Reuben Drive.
- Watch for changing traffic patterns where Fairview Road intersects Bluff Road. The temporary signal is scheduled for activation this week, and will provide access to the south after Bluffdale Drive permanently closes at S.R. 37, which is scheduled for mid-September.
- Flaggers are expected to direct traffic today and Tuesday on Fairview Road just east of S.R. 37. Utility crews will be working in the area between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Waterline installation continues along Huggin Hollow Road and Old S.R. 37 north of S.R. 144. Huggin Hollow Road is expected to close after Labor Day between the north and south driveways for BP and Noble Roman’s.
- Thompson Road is expected to close permanently on Wednesday between Stoops Freightliner and Warman Avenue. Access the Sunshine Gardens neighborhood from Epler Avenue to the south.
- The Belmont Avenue closure where it parallels S.R. 37 between Edgewood Avenue and Epler Road will continue this week. Business access remains open on either side of the closure point midway.
- The right lanes of I-465 are scheduled to close tonight and Tuesday night near the Mooresville Road Bypass bridge. Crews are removing rumble strips ahead of the bridge closure in mid-September. The S.R. 67/Kentucky Avenue ramps will remain open.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.