BLOOMINGTON – Carved into the limestone entrance of the Indiana University School of Public Health in Bloomington is a Latin phrase coined by the Roman poet Juvenal: in corpore sano mens sana — “a healthy mind in a healthy body.”
The inscription is a constant reminder to strive for holistic health, both inside and out. A brand-new IU Bloomington Student Health & Wellness Council, established Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2021, will support students to do just that.
Interim Provost and Executive Vice President John Applegate, who led the charge for the council for the campus, said IU Bloomington students who learn to prioritize their health in the same way they prioritize their studies and friendships will develop habits that set them up for a lifetime of success.
“This is an exceptionally important subject area for our campus, especially following a year and half of pandemic restrictions,” Applegate said. “We know that physical and mental health are equally important and that we should focus on both treatment and prevention through attention to wellness. I have full faith that the incredibly knowledgeable individuals on this council will lay the groundwork for programming that makes a positive difference in our student’s lives.”
The council will identify and connect existing health and wellness programs across campus to promote programming synergies that strengthen and refine the programs and increase their visibility. It will also create a set of holistic and preventative strategies for promoting and protecting IU Bloomington students’ health and wellness, make recommendations for implementation of the strategy, and identify any gaps in existing health and wellness programs.
Dave O’Guinn, vice provost for student affairs and dean of students, will serve as the primary administrative sponsor for the council, which will be co-chaired by IU’s Chief Health Officer, Dr. Aaron Carroll, and Dr. Denise Hayes, assistant vice provost for student affairs. In addition to Carroll and Hayes, members of the Student Health & Wellness Council include:
- Dr. Beth Rupp, Medical Director, Student Health Center
- Bobbie Saccone, Co-Director, Health & Wellness, Student Health Center
- Maresa Murray, Assistant Dean for Diversity, Inclusion and Organizational Culture, School of Public Health
- Cate Reck, BFC President-Elect, Chemistry
- DeeDee Dayhoff, Assistant Dean of Students, Care Team
- John Wilkerson, Interim Associate Vice Provost, International Services
- Donté Miller, Assistant Director, Hudson and Holland Scholars Program, Doctoral Candidate (Counseling Psychology)
- Chris Arvin, Program Director for Fitness & Wellness, Recreational Sports
- Rachel Dolgner, Dietician, IU Dining
- Sara Ivey Lucas, Director, ResLife
- Assistant Director for Diversity and Curriculum (new hire starts in Sept 2021)
- Kaitlyn Rourke, IUSG Health and Wellness Student Director
- Catherine Qing, Culture of Care Student President
- Sage Boyd, Health and Wellness Officer, Graduate and Professional Student Government
- Hannah Armstrong, Chief of Staff, Division of Student Affairs, ex officio