BEDFORD – The Bedford Parks Department has kicked off with a flurry of activity with people of all ages taking advantage of the many programs offered.
During the Bedford Parks Department Board meeting, Tuesday afternoon, members were advised of activities the park department will offer the community this summer. They were also given a recap of the success of the summer events held thus far.
The Bedford Parks Department recap and future events and activities offered include:
- A total of 304 people attended the Father/Daughter Dance held on May 28th. The event had to be moved inside after a threat of rain, but thanks to First Baptist Church the event was held inside.
- This Thursday there is a free trip to see the Indianapolis Indians. The bus is leaving the Bedford Parks Office at 4:30 p.m. The game will begin at 7:00 p.m. The free tickets are provided by Jeff Quyle from Radius of Indiana. The next trip will be on June 29 with a game-time of 7:00 p.m.
- The K-6 Running Club started on June 8th and will continue for six weeks. A total of 36 kids will take part in the program.
- Dog obedience classes began on June 7th and will continue on June 14, June 21, and June 28. Mary Hall is instructing the class.
- The pool is now open. The Bedford Parks Department is also conducting swim classes. The pool opened on June 4, with free admission made available thanks to Air Master Heating and Air Conditioning.
- Also, on June 4 the Annual All-nighter was held at Murray Forest Park. A total of 34 teams, with people from all around the State of Indiana participating.
- The Men’s Limestone Classic will take place this weekend at Otis Park. The golf course has been busy this season with play and several tournaments and outings scheduled.
- On May 1st the BNL Boys Invitational was held.
- June 19th Shrine Club is hosting an event with 22 teams taking part in that event.
- June 26 – 27 is the Men’s Senior City with a $35 entry fee, plus green fee and cart fee. The event will begin at 8:00 a.m.
- June 26-27 Ladies City with a $35 entry fee, plus green fee and cart fee will tee off at 11 a.m.
- Men’s City will play on July 10 -11, and 17th-18th
To register for these golfing events contact the Otis Park Golf Shop.
Junior Golf camps are underway. A total of 35 kids are taking part in the sessions held during the last two weeks. Three more sessions are scheduled with a few openings left in each remaining camp. Registration for the Junior Golf camp is available by registering at the golf shop or download an application form.
“The golf course has been really busy with play, and we have been going full steam ahead,” said John Bertges Golf Pro at Otis Park.
Bedford Parks Director Jimmie Jones also informed the board that the landscaping at the pool and Otis Park are complete with the planting of flowers.