(MARTINSVILLE) – Get ready for a big traffic change on State Road 37 north of Martinsville as soon as this Saturday, Jan. 23.
Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction and shift to the northbound side of the highway from Morgan Street to S.R. 144. The S.R. 37 restrictions will be in place for most of this year.
S.R. 37 northbound is already restricted to one lane in this area, and the installation of temporary concrete barriers is nearing completion. Crews are preparing to rebuild and rehabilitate the S.R. 37 lanes in phases for the future I-69. Traffic is expected to shift onto the new southbound pavement and bridges this summer so crews can build the future I-69 northbound lanes. Through traffic is encouraged to avoid the area and use the official detour of S.R. 144, S.R. 67 and S.R. 39.
The temporary S.R. 37 signals at Banta Road and Henderson Ford Road will be adjusted for the new traffic pattern.
For local traffic, the temporary concrete barrier has restricted the S.R. 37 northbound intersections at Myra Lane and Teeters Road in Morgan County to right-in, right-out only. No left turns are permitted at these intersections. S.R. 37 southbound access to and from Martinsville Golf Club and Myra Lane are detoured onto new access roads.
The upcoming traffic shift will also bring additional traffic changes.
- Travis Road is expected to close on Thursday at S.R. 37 in Johnson County as a safety measure due to the intersection’s close proximity to the northern traffic crossover.
- Ennis Road is expected to close at S.R. 37 on Saturday for the first phase of I-69 lane construction. It’s scheduled to reopen again temporarily during a future construction phase. The local detour follows New Harmony, Egbert and Henderson Ford roads to access S.R. 37.
- Once the S.R. 37 southbound traffic shift is completed, the stop signs will be removed for Morgan Street entering and exiting S.R. 37. This is at the north end of the S.R. 37 closure in Martinsville.
- Law enforcement agencies are patrolling the S.R. 144, S.R. 67 and S.R. 39 detour for speeding and other traffic violations. Drivers can avoid a ticket by putting their phone down and helping to keep the detour safe and open to traffic.
- Martinsville police are also enforcing local truck restrictions on city streets.
- Where traffic is turning from the detour route onto a local road, drivers are encouraged to signal well in advance. Traffic is encouraged to use passing lanes where available to bypass traffic turning left.
- S.R. 37 is closed in Martinsville, but the city is open for business. Click here to hear from Martinsville Chamber and Morgan County officials on the faster, safer I-69 construction plan.
- Along S.R. 37 in Morgan and Johnson county, crews have been removing INDOT’s wire and chain-link fencing from state property to prepare for utility installation and I-69 construction. Neighboring property owners are urged to secure pets or livestock on their property.
- After S.R. 37 traffic is shifted between S.R. 144 and Martinsville, expect to see pavement and bridge removal in the old southbound lanes.
- Huggins Hollow Road is expected to close just north of Banta Road on or after Tuesday, Jan. 26. The road is being realigned to connect with Waverly Park Road just south of the S.R. 144 and Old S.R. 37 intersection.
- Stay alert for lane closures and flaggers on city streets near S.R. 37 in Marion County including Banta, Southport and Wicker roads. Crews are installing new utility lines and collecting soil samples to prepare for I-69 construction.
- On Tuesday, crews are expected to remove overhead utility lines that cross S.R. 37 at Stones Crossing Road. Motorists could see rolling stops for S.R. 37 traffic lasting up to 20 minutes.
The actual starting date and duration for work and any closures may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen activities occur.