(INDIANAPOLIS) – The Indiana State Board of Education (Board) met today for its December business meeting and approved a number of school corporations’ flexibility requests and higher education teacher preparation programs.
Passed in 2020, Indiana’s House Enrolled Act 1003 allows school corporations to request waivers from certain state-mandated requirements. Today the Board approved waiver requests for Culver Community Schools and Evansville Vanderburgh Community Schools to track student learning in terms of instructional minutes instead of instructional days (IC 20-30-2-2). Urban Act Academy and MSD Pike Township received waivers to track student learning in terms of instructional hours instead of instructional days (IC 20-33-2-14). The Board approved a waiver for the submission of the annual performance report for Urban Act Academy, MSD Pike Township, and Evansville Vanderburgh Community Schools (IC 20-20-8). The Board waived the training requirement related to criminal gang activity for Urban Act Academy (IC 20-26-18).
Board members voted to approve eight teacher preparation programs. They include:
- #TEACH, a transition to teaching program;
- Ball State University Virtual Instruction License;
- Goshen College Department of Education;
- Indiana University East School of Education;
- Martin University School of Education;
- University of Notre Dame Alliance for Catholic Education;
- Indiana State University Virtual Instruction License; and
- Valparaiso University Transition to Teaching Program.
The Board will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, January 6, 2021.