Gas Leak Forces Evacuation Of Some Mitchell Residents

(MITCHELL) – A man working on his sewer hit a two-inch gas main in the 600 block of 7th Street in Mitchell Thursday evening.

Around 6:15 p.m. firefighters from Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department and Marion Township Volunteer Fire Departments were called to the scene.

“The situation could have been a lot worse and no one was injured in the incident,” said Fred Cassidy, Assistant Fire Chief of the Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department.

Residents in and around one block of the gas leak were evacuated. Residents were allowed to return to their homes around 10 p.m.

The Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department was assisted by Mitchell Mayor J.D. England, Lawrence County Emergency Management, Mitchell Utilities, and the Mitchell Police Department to make sure the situation was under control.

Vectren was contacted to make repairs on the line and only one house was affected by having to relight pilot lights and get them back operating.

Residents are reminded to call 8-1-1 before you dig and is required by law. You should call at least three days before any kind of construction project. It is not known whether this person used the service. The phone call is free and they will notify all the utilities for your location.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email