(MARTINSVILLE) – The journey to the I-69 Finish Line started in Martinsville last year with the corridor transforming before our eyes. Beams were set last week on another new bridge being built over State Road 37.
There are ten beams that will support the deck of the bridge. Each of the beams is 140 feet long, longer than any other beams used on I-69 Finish Line.
Many bridges are at a 90-degree angle and perpendicular to the roadway. The Egbert Road bridge is at a skew to connect with Old S.R. 37, requiring longer beams to bridge the angle of the roadway.
Next steps will include building a metal deck, adding reinforcing steel and pouring the concrete deck.
Beams are expected to be installed at the new Perry Road bridge late this month.
They’ll also help safely carry traffic during next year’s closure of a portion of S.R. 37. The new bridges are expected to open to traffic by late fall. I-69 Finish Line is upgrading State Road 37 to interstate standards from Martinsville to Indianapolis.
- Crews hope to fully reopen the intersection at Egbert Road and Centennial Road later this week. The temporary closure had to be extended because of poor soil conditions in the area leading to additional work. Emergency work allowed for the intersection to reopen to local traffic only this weekend. Detour signage remains, but local traffic can travel very slowly through the intersection. Drivers using detour routes should slow down and drive with caution.
- A temporary driveway connection for Perry Lane could open later this week. Perry Road access south of Perry Lane is detoured to New Harmony Road, Cragen Road, and then to S.R. 37.
- A new access road is expected to open next month to connect Country Club Drive and Myra Lane along the west side of S.R. 37. Country Club Road access to S.R. 37 has closed permanently. A map shows the detour route for local traffic.
- Crews have rebuilt the Morton Avenue entrance to the Martinsville Plaza. The improved entrance opened late last week.
- Pipe and utility work underneath Hacker Drive near S.R. 39 is nearing completion and paving is expected later this week. Some flagging operations will continue in the area for shoulder work.
- York Street is expected to close at S.R. 39 this week. The closure is for the next phase of construction on S.R. 39. The closure is expected to last a few weeks.
- Rolling closures and lane closures are possible daily along S.R. 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson Ford Road, Perry Road, Waverly Road and Whiteland Road.
- Closures with flagging are expected Wednesday — Friday on Ohio Street at Bill Boulevard (at Walgreens) for sewer line improvements.
- A partial closure of Morgan Street at S.R. 39 is expected late this month. The westbound Morgan Street turn lane onto S.R. 39 northbound will remain open. All other turn movements will be closed for about one week so Morgan Street can be realigned with the widened S.R. 39.
- The east approach of Whiteland Road at S.R. 37 is expected to close in September. This will be a permanent closure. Watch for more details here in the coming weeks.
- The I-69 Finish Line project office remains closed temporarily, but our Project Team stands ready to assist. Call 855-INDOT-4U or email INDOT@indot.in.gov to connect with our team. Find the latest news, information and traffic updates at I-69FinishLine.com, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.