(BEDFORD) – The Bedford Planning and Zoning Commission will hold a special meeting on Tuesday, at 4 p.m. at Stonegate Arts & Education Center.
During the meeting, residents can view the final draft of the City of Bedford Downtown Comprehensive Plan.
The plan can also be viewed at www.bedford.in.us. under announcements. Simply click on Bedford Downtown Revitalization Plan November 19 or Bedford Comprehensive Plan Update 2019.
Some of the information from a recent Lochmueller Group survey was used to develop the two plans.
Survey results surfaced the following conclusions. When asked where they would take a visitor to show off the downtown Bedford, residents responded:
- Courthouse Square
- Harp Commons
- Lawrence County History Museum.
Forty two percent of the survey respondents think Downtown Bedford is considered active and vibrant. Though many respondents believe Downtown Bedford is family and senior-friendly and has plenty of parking.
Over half of the survey respondents feel Downtown Bedford is welcoming to people of all races, backgrounds, religions, and incomes. However, less than half think it is kid-friendly.
Surprisingly, only twenty percent believe there are numerous places to frequent for shopping, eating and entertainment in the Downtown area.
Twenty years from now residents want to be able to say.
- Downtown is the center of economic growth and community activity for Bedford and surrounding areas.
- Downtown history is preserved and celebrated through its buildings and environment.
- Ensure the downtown is welcoming, accessible, and interesting for people of all ages and incomes.
- Downtown efficiently utilizes space to promote sustainable growth.
Land use, zoning, parking, transportation, and one-way streets will all be addressed in Tuesday’s meeting.
For any further questions you can contact Katy Shackleford of the Lochmueller Group, at 317-446-5404.