(INDIANAPOLIS) – After a year of planning and transforming Monument Circle, Downtown Indy, Inc., and the Indiana War Memorials Commission will debut the $7.6 million Shining A Light, made possible by Lilly Endowment Inc., on Saturday, Nov. 9 from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m.
Usher in Veterans Day and recognize those who have and continue to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. Brand-new, high-tech video and lighting projections, new staging and surround sound elements will come to life.
The public is invited to attend this free event featuring entertainment from Clayton Anderson, veteran-owned beer and spirit garden featuring Hard Truth/Quaff On! Brewing and Hotel Tango Distillery, General American Donut Company truck and U.S. Air Force and Indiana National Guard activations.
As evening falls, attention will be drawn to the buildings of the Southeast Quadrant as the debut of Indy’s Signature Salute captivates and inspires all who gather. The five-minute program will bask Monument Circle in spectacular lighting with a synchronized original score from the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra written by Emmy Award-winning producer John Colby.
Coordinated video and light projections featuring images of historic significance will unfold across the surrounding building facades and statues on the Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Monument will be illuminated. As the music crescendos, four beams of light will soar skyward from each quadrant lighting Victory (atop the Monument), signaling Indianapolis as the Crossroads of America.
Schedule of Events:
- 4 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. – Clayton Anderson performs
- 5:35 p.m. – Presentation of Colors by the National Guard, National Anthem by the 38th Infantry Band, 38th Infantry Band performs
- 5:50 p.m. Ceremony begins – Indiana Brig. General R. Dale Lyles, Adjutant General, Indiana National Guard, Governor Eric Holcomb, Brig. General J. Stewart Goodwin, Executive Director, Indiana War Memorials Commission, Sherry Seiwert, President and CEO, Downtown Indy, Inc., Matt Hall, Director of Veterans Services, Office of the Mayor, Doug Boles, President, Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- 6:18 p.m. – Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra performs
- 6:20 p.m. – Signature Salute
- 6:25 p.m. – Bob Schultz, SVP of Marketing/Events, Downtown Indy, Inc.
- 6:30 until 7 p.m. – 38th Infantry Band performs
The Signature Salute will play a few additional times on Nov. 9 (only for the Premiere)
This event is a pedestrian-only event. Prohibited items include pop-up tents, coolers, scooters, chairs, bicycles, and animals (service animals are permitted).
The Shining A Light Premiere will close the south half of Monument Circle from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. The entire Monument Circle and spokes (Market and Meridian streets) will be closed from 1:30 – 8 p.m.