(INDIANAPOLIS) –The Indiana Department of Education announced today the 2019 Gold Star Schools.
The Gold Star designation signifies a school counselor-led steering team has met specific criteria identified for the development of a comprehensive school counseling model.
“Receiving Gold Star designation is evidence of a strong, collaborative, and successful school climate,” said state superintendent Dr. Jennifer McCormick. “I commend Indiana’s 2019 Gold Star schools for understanding the positive impact school counselors, entire school teams, and community members have in helping our students become fully prepared for the future.”
Created in 2004, the Gold Star designation has been awarded to over 300 Indiana elementary, middle, and high schools. To receive the award, schools undergo a rigorous process to raise student achievement and improve overall student success. This is accomplished by creating local school-community advisory groups tasked with reviewing student data, setting specific student goals, and committing to maximizing the time and skills of the school counselor. A total of 13 schools received the designation in 2019, of which five renewed their Gold Star status.
The official award presentation will take place in November at the Indiana School Counselor Association fall conference.
First-Time Gold Star Recipients
- Beiriger Elementary School in Griffith
- Benjamin Rush Middle School in Rushville
- Eldon Ready Elementary School in Griffith
- Elsie Wadsworth Elementary School in Griffith
- Mt Vernon Middle School in Fortville
- Perry Meridian Middle School in Indianapolis
- Rushville Consolidated High School in Rushville
- Triton Jr-Sr High School in Bourbon
Gold Star Renewal Schools:
- Franklin Township Middle School West in Indianapolis
- Jennings County Middle School in North Vernon
- Kesling Intermediate School in LaPorte
- LaPorte Middle School in LaPorte
- Munster High School in Munster
To view a complete list of recognized schools, visit: www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/news/gold-star-recipients-2019.pdf. For more information regarding Gold Star designation, please visit: www.doe.in.gov/student-services/student-assistance/recognition.