(BEDFORD) – The North Lawrence Community Schools Board of Trustees met Thursday with four board members present – Scott Gillespie, Kirsten Collier, Trent Todd, and Dr. Kamal Girgis.
The School Board notified the public that the procedures for public comment will only be relative to the agenda from this point on. According to Director of Communications Andrew Clampitt, the purpose is to allow the public to express their concerns and to have the board take it under advisement without the back and forth banter.
Each person addressing the board will be given three minutes to speak. They will place a blue card at the podium with their names, address, and concern. Board members will not respond to any comments or questions during the meeting but will listen and then take the comment under advisement.
Anyone who has concerns can also contact the Administration Building.
The rest of the meeting dealt with adopting the 2020 budget, personnel matters, and approval for a field trip by the FFA members who are seniors. The seniors will be taking a trip to Florida in April of 2020.
Director of Communications Andrew Clampitt also told WBIW that the work of the Visionary Committee is now underway.
According to Clampitt, more than 100 people expressed interest in being a part of the committee. Out of the applicants, 40 were invited by Dr. Mungle to serve on the committee. These committee members are from diverse backgrounds including members of the business community, educators, parents, and other stakeholders. This group would come up with solutions to challenges schools face and make recommendations to the school board. Mungle wants more community involvement in the growth of local schools.
The committee is making rapid progress in its work. They are reviewing facilities, student/staff, opportunities/strengths and weaknesses, finances of the corporation, and building plans and recommendations.
The Committee will then create several plans and recommendations. Those plans and recommendations will then be narrowed down to two final plans with their recommendations and then given to the Board of Trustees for review.
In late October or early November the public will then be given the opportunity to provide feedback either through the North Lawrence Community Schools website, mail, email and other forms of communication.
The North Lawrence Community School Board of Trustees will make the final decision as this group only serves in an advisory capacity.
The following personnel changes were approved by 4-0 vote:
- Brianna Guinn – Transferring from NLCS Bus Driver to NLCS Sub Bus Driver effective October 4, 2019.
- Dorothy Tincher – Transferring from NLCS Sub Bus Driver to NLCS Bus Driver effective October 4, 2019.
- Amanda Wright – Transferring from Needmore Library Instructional Assistant to Instructional Assistant effective October 7, 2019.
- Patricia Winegar – Transferring from NLCS Custodian at BNL to BMS effective for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Jennifer Bilskie – BNL Scholarship Foundation Administrative Assistant effective for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Bonnie Craig – Needmore Elementary Library Instructional Assistant effective October 7, 2019.
- Rebecca Gulley – Stalker Elementary Temporary Title 1 Instructional Assistant effective as of October 4, 2019.
- Josh Kirkman – NLCS Skilled Maintenance effective October 7, 2019.
- Roger Stallings – NLCS Custodian effective September 24, 2019.
- Michael E. Wright – NLCS Bus Driver effective for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Diane Freed – Lincoln Elementary Spell Bowl Coach.
- Jamie Hooten – Lincoln Elementary Math Bowl Coach.
- Kathy Aldridge – Recommended as STEAM Sponsor for OMS effective for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Elizabeth Gaither – Resigning as SMS STEAM Sponsor effective for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Aleshia Myers – Resigned as BNL Cook effective September 17, 2019.
- Rex Porter – Resigning as NLCS Custodian effective September 25, 2019.
- Amanda Rollins – Resigning as NLCS Permanent Traveling RN effective October 10, 2019.