Firefighters Battle House Fire in Loogootee

(LOOGOOTEE) – Firefighters with the Haysville and Loogootee Volunteer Fire Departments battled a house fire in Loogootee over the weekend.

Haysville Fire Cheif John Fuhrman says firefighters were called to the blaze around 11 a.m. at the home of Claire Smith, at 6626 North US 231, just north of Lingenfelter Road.

According to Chief Fuhrman, after someone who was cleaning the basement put a cigarette butt in a soda can and threw that can a garbage bag. The fire spread to a sectional couch that was nearby.

An occupant then went upstairs. He then noticed smoke and called the fire department.

The firefighters were on scene for about two hours.

They were able to contain the fire to the basement of the home. Fuhrman said the basement and its drywall was significantly damaged but the home can be repaired.

Memorial Hospital EMS ambulance assisted on the scene.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share:
Tagged