(INDIANAPOLIS) – On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 the Judicial Nominating Commission will vote to select Indiana’s next Chief Justice.
The appointment of Chief Justice occurs every 5 years and is open to the press and public.
The meeting will take place at 9 a.m. EDT in room 319 of the State House.
Chief Justice Loretta H. Rush will interview with the Commission to seek reappointment. She was selected as Chief Justice in 2014.
All current Supreme Court Justices have been invited to share their thoughts with the Commission during the meeting.
The Commission has asked the justices to speak about the qualities and attributes important in a Chief Justice.
The schedule is as follows:
- 9 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. – Justice Geoffrey Slaughter (via phone)
- 9:15 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. – Justice Mark Massa
- 9:45 a.m. – 10 a.m. – Justice Steven David
- 10 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Justice Christopher Goff
- 10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Chief Justice Loretta Rush
- At approximately 10:30 a.m. the Commission will go into an executive session for discussion.
Following the executive session, the Commission will convene in a public session to vote on its selection of Indiana’s next Chief Justice.