(BLOOMINGTON) – Revolution Bike & Bean., in collaboration with the City of Bloomington, is issuing a call for artist proposals for a mural to be located on the east wall of the Revolution Bike and Bean building located at 401 E. 10th Street.
The mural will be a highly visible design element for westbound traffic on this major artery from the Indiana University campus. Proposals are being accepted via email at email@example.com until 5 pm, Friday, May 17, 2019. There is no fee to submit a proposal.
The goal of the mural is to provide an innovative and compelling work of public art to the residents of and visitors to Bloomington.
Themes to consider: Community Health, Alternative Modes of Transportation, Sustainable Living, and the Civil Streets Bloomington initiative, an education campaign designed to reduce unsafe pedestrian and vehicular behaviors.
The mural is to be located at 401 E. 10th St. The approved-upon design should be confined to the 48 ft by 12 ft area roughly corresponding to the bottom half of the wall (please see photo at the end of this document). Filling of the entire space is not required.
Stipend: The artist selected for this commission will receive $1650, which includes all artist fees, material, and equipment purchases to complete the mural.
Completion Date: All work must be completed prior to August 19, 2019.
Illustrations of the proposed mural. Submissions must contain between one and five sketches or digital renderings of the proposed mural.
A description of the proposed work. Please include the following elements:
- An artist statement describing artistic experience and interest in the project.
- A description of the concepts in the proposed mural.
Support Materials/Previous Work
- Proposals should be accompanied by five to 10 images of previous work.
- Resume (maximum two pages)
- Files should be submitted and compiled into a single .pdf format and will be acknowledged upon receipt.
- The artist will be selected by Revolution Bike and Bean, City of Bloomington Bike & Pedestrian Commission, members of the City of Bloomington Arts Commission and City staff.
- Artists will be notified about the selection by early June.
- Proposals are requested for a mural to be located on the eastern wall of the building at 401 E. 10th St.