(BEDFORD) – The North Lawrence Community School Board met at 6:30 p.m. at the Administration building Thursday. The school board meeting convened with six board members present, Scott Gillespie was unable to attend.
The following donations were received by the NLCS:
- Restoration Church of the Nazarene donated $3,645 to LIFE pantry. The donation will be enough to fund the “Blessings in a Backpack” for the rest of the year at Lincoln School.
- Lawrence County Homebuilders Association donated $196 to the Construction Technology Center at the Career Center.
- David Thorne donated a 51 piece socket set at the Construction Technology Center at the Career Center.
The approval of the previous Executive Sessions, January 17, February 4, 6, 11 and 25, 2019. All but one approved with board member Kristin Collier abstaining her vote.
The Financial report was approved with a 6-0 vote. Also, Mrs. Hoffman reported six conflicts of interests. These include Darren Powell, Karen Atchinson, James McQueary, Brian Hawkins, Larry Arnold, and Jeremy Gilbert. Board members approved the conflict of interest with four board members voting and Arnold and Gilbert abstaining from the vote.
Maintenance Mr. Ritter reports he purchased three pick-ups. He is currently looking at plows and bodies.
The bleachers are presently being inspected at all the schools. Mr. Arnold asked whether Parkview bleachers have been looked at with Mr. Ritter stating they all will be inspected. And a full report will be available on the conclusion of the inspection.
A blower at Shawswick School is currently being worked on.
Mr. Darren Waggoner reports that all the buses are currently going through the Spring Indiana State Police Inspection. They are three quarters through the Corporation inspection, then will start on the Contract Buses. So far everything is going smoothly.
Mr. Waggoner also stated contract bus routes would be in mid-March, the question from a school member was whether the contracts would be negotiated, or bid. Mr. Mungle stated the contracts cannot be rewritten and will be in the best interest of the corporation to re-bid the routes.
The cost of school buses is now up to $100,000 and finding drivers is difficult. Also, at a later time, they are looking at changing pick up times and drop-offs at some schools. Mr. Waggoner will be disclosing details at a later time.
Personnel matters approved with a 6-0 vote.
- 2018-2019 Certified, Administrative, And RN contracts approved. A Temporary contract for Dollens Elementary effective March 4th- end of the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Bedford Middle School Math Instructor. Temporary contract will be effective March 4th, 2019- through the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Intern Psychologist effective 2019-2020 academic school year was approved. This person is an intern from Indiana University. Getting Phycologists is difficult, and this is a win for the corporation with maybe a future hire.
Leave of Absences: Approved with a 6-0 vote
- Jenifer Bartlett – Needmore Elementary School Grade 3 Instructor is requesting a leave of absence beginning Monday, February 18th, 2019 and continuing day to day basis.
- Deanne Blackburn – BNLHS Business Instructor is requesting a leave of absence beginning February 11, 2019, and continuing until March 1, 2019.
- Aurora Johnson – NLCS RN is requesting a leave of absence beginning approximately Friday, February 23, 2019, and continuing through the end of the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Cameron Johnson – Lincoln Elementary Instructional Assistant is requesting a leave of absence Monday, March 4, 2019, and continuing on a day to day basis.
- Janice Kirk – Needmore Elementary 2nd Grade Instructor is requesting a leave of absence beginning March 11, 2019, and continuing for four to six weeks.
- Kristen McDonald – Oolitic Middle School Math Instructor is requesting a leave of absence beginning May 1, 2019, and continuing through the end of the Academic 2018-2019 school year.
Transfers: Approved by a 6-0 vote
- A transfer from Springville Elementary to Springville Title I Facilitator effective Friday, March 1, 2019.
- A transfer from Parkview Intermediate Permanent ED Instructional Assistant to Parkview Intermediate Permanent Resource Instructor Assistant effective December 14, 2019.
- Transferring from Needmore Elementary Prime Time Instructional Assistant effective February 27, 2019
Extra – Curricular Resignations: Approved by a 6-0 vote
- BNL High School Freshman Baseball Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic year.
- BNLHS Assistant Softball Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Shawswick Middle School Head Girls Track Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic school year.
- BNLHS High School Assistant Unified Track Coach effective with the 2018-2019 Academic year.
- BNLHS Co- Assistant Softball Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic year.
- NLCS Middle School Boys’ Golf Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic school year.
- BNLHS Co- Varsity Assistant Baseball Coach effective 2018-2019 academic year.
- BLHS JV Baseball Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic year.
- BNLHS Girls School Girls’ Assistant Tennis Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic school year.
- BNLHS Head Girls Tennis Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic year.
- BNHLS Assistant Softball Coach effective with the 2018-2019 academic year.
Summer Programs:Approved by a 6-0 vote
- Mrs. Girgis is recommending that Melody Allen and Ana Rynders be the two Camp Invention teachers for Lincoln’s upcoming 2019 Camp Invention Program. The school corporation is not responsible for stipends that the teachers earn.
- Speech and Therapy services at Parkview Primary will be contracted with TinyEYE Therapy Services. This was recommended by Dr. Emily Dykstra.
Adult Education Classes:
- Paul Sanders NLCC Director is requesting permission to have adult education classes at the Career Center. Welding – April 2 – May 14 from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Healthcare Patient Access & Registration Professional/ Hospital Registration Clerk Certification – Taught by Vincennes University using one of the classrooms at the Career Center, April 2 – May 28 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Darcy Clark Retiring as NLCS Title 1 Coordinator effective July 31.
- -Julie Couch- Resigning as Parkview Intermediate Title I Instructional Assistant effective Thursday, February 28.
- Michelle Davis -Resigning as Springville Prime Time Instructional Assistant effective Friday, March 1.
- Tammy Dwiggins – Resigning as NLCS Transportation bus monitor effective Friday, January 28.
- Lynnsie Foddrill- Resigning as Heltonville Elementary Prime Time Instructional Assistant effective Wednesday, February 20.
- Tiffany Edwards-Gould- Resigning as Needmore Elementary Library Instructional Assistant effective March 1.
- Laura Hall Resigning as Oolitic Middle School 1-on-1 Resource Instructional Assistant. Effective February 22.
- Mark Jedele- Resigning as BNLHS Physics And Earth/ Space Science Instructor. Effective 2018-2019 academic year.
- Sara Rutledge- Resigning as Parkview Intermediate Title 1 Instructional Assistant effective Friday, February 15.
- Alexandria Scott- Resigning as Lincoln Elementary Title I Instructional Assistant effective Thursday, January 31.
- Makenzie Warner- Resigning as Lincoln Elementary Prime Time Instructional Assistant effective Friday, February 1.
- Professional leave request Pamela Homer- Shawswick Middle Language Arts Instructor has been granted the Lilly Teacher Creativity Grant And is requesting to attend the following. There is no cost to NLCS.
- Trips planned include Stowe, Vermont- June 10-17.
- Portland, Maine – June 17-21.
- Stowe, Vermont – October 11.
- Stowe, Vermont- December 5-19.
- Beth Felts – NLCC Early Childhood Instructor is requesting permission to attend the Indiana Association for Education of Young Children in Indianapolis, Indiana on March 14-16.
- Kelly Storms – Bedford Middle School Assistant Principal is requesting permission to attend National Youth At Risk Conference in Savannah, Georgia on March 4th-6th. Mrs. Storms was selected to receive one of the Indiana Youth Institute’s Professional Development Grants to attend the conference. There is no expense to NLCS. This passed on a 6-0 Vote.
Two Field Trips were approved 6-0
- Lucas Calhoun Shawswick Middle School Principal is requesting permission for the 8th Graders to travel to Kentucky Kingdom on May, 16. Eight chaperones will accompany the students.
- Logan Felts – NLCC AG Instructor is requesting to take the NLCC Students to Western Kentucky University Agriculture Field Day in Bowling Green, Kentucky and Tennessee Schools In Open Competition.
BNLHS graduation will be May 24, 2019.
School will be in session on Election Day May 7. Due to the Election, extra security will be on hand at Parkview and Stalker Schools.
The school will also be in session on Friday, May 24, Tuesday, May 28, and the final school day at this point will be May 29.
Mr. Mungle also requested a ‘no waiver request’ for kindergarten students. Both requests were approved 6-0.
Mr. Mungle reports he visited all the schools and facilities and was welcomed by the staff warmly. And the transition has been smooth.
Parents address concerns on Middle and High School Wrestling Programs. Three individuals addressed the board on concerns in safety issues, bullying, and treatment of middle and high school students.
The first to address the board was, Greg Stevens, followed by Melissa Garcia, and finally Ryan Powell. They all stated they tried to use the proper channels and the issues are continuing and getting worse. Dr. Mungle told them to get with him on the issues. Board advised all three they will look into the matter.