(UNDATED) – Free legal help will be available to Hoosiers this month.
Indiana residents can take advantage of this opportunity at one of the more than 20 walk-in sites that will be open throughout the state. Or, consultations will be available by phone at 800-266-2581 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Jan. 21, which is Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
“Indiana attorneys have a great tradition of providing pro bono assistance throughout the year, and the Indiana State Bar Association is certainly proud of all of our volunteers who will offer their time and expertise on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, to offer legal aid to underserved Hoosiers,” ISBA President J. Todd Spurgeon said.
In January 2018, about 350 attorneys volunteered statewide to help more than 1,300 Hoosiers seeking legal aid.
Established in 2002, “Talk to a Lawyer Today” is an annual tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The pro bono program provides legal assistance to those in need by offering free legal consultations to members of the general public who might not otherwise be able to afford the counsel of an attorney.
- Those in District H which includes Clay, Greene, Hendricks, Lawrence, Monroe, Owen and Putnam counties will need to call this Statewide Hotline 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1-800-266-2581
- Those in District I includes Bartholomew, Brown, Decatur, Jackson, Jennings, Johnson, Rush and Shelby counties.
- In Bartholomew County visit the Legal Aid Office, United Way Center at 1531 13th St. from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- In Brown County visit the Brown County Public Library at 205 Locust Lane from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- In Decatur County visit the Decatur County Public Library at 1110 E. Main St. from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- In Jackson County visit the Montgomery Elsner and Pardieck Law Office at 308 W 2nd St. from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- In Jennings County visit the Jennings County Public Library at 2375 N. St. Hwy 3 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- District K includes Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Knox, Martin, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Sullivan, Vanderburgh, Vigo and Warrick counties.
- In Vanderburgh County visit the Evansville Bar Association at 915 Main Street, Suite 108, in Evansville. or call 812-618-4845 or 888-594-3449 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- District L includes Clark, Crawford, Floyd, Harrison, Orange, Scott and Washington counties will need to call the Southern Indiana Pro Bono Referral at 812-288-8002 at 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.